*Updated movie predictions after Lion and Fences*
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
CASEY AFFLECK – MANCHESTER BY THE SEA
ANDREW GARFIELD – HACKSAW RIDGE
RYAN GOSLING – LA LA LAND
VIGGO MORTENSEN – CAPTAIN FANTASTIC
DENZEL WASHINGTON – FENCES
Should win: Casey Affleck
- He’s pretty much been anointed as the frontrunner for good reason. His understated performance of a man dealing with his personal demons brought on by grief was the most compelling one I’ve seen. This will be between Affleck and Washington with Affleck getting a slight edge.
Will win: Casey Affleck
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
AMY ADAMS – ARRIVAL
EMILY BLUNT – THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN
NATALIE PORTMAN – JACKIE (Guest Review)
EMMA STONE – LA LA LAND
MERYL STREEP – FLORENCE FOSTER JENKINS
Should win: Emma Stone
- If this was any other year, she may have had a chance but it’ll be hard to go against Portman. I haven’t seen Jackie so I am going with the consensus.
Will win: Natalie Portman
- I am going with the consensus on this one.
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
MAHERSHALA ALI – MOONLIGHT
JEFF BRIDGES – HELL OR HIGH WATER (Guest Review)
HUGH GRANT – FLORENCE FOSTER JENKINS
LUCAS HEDGES – MANCHESTER BY THE SEA
DEV PATEL – LION
Should win: Mahershala Ali
- He’s been winning everything so far and deservedly so. I don’t see it stopping anytime soon.
Will win: Mahershala Ali
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role
VIOLA DAVIS – FENCES
NAOMIE HARRIS – MOONLIGHT
NICOLE KIDMAN – LION
OCTAVIA SPENCER – HIDDEN FIGURES (Guest Review)
MICHELLE WILLIAMS – MANCHESTER BY THE SEA
Should win: Naomie Harris
- She was the best part of Moonlight, as a likable drug addict mother whose tragic downfall was compelling to watch.
Will win: Viola Davis
- Everybody has anointed her the frontrunner and rightfully so. She propped up Washington’s Troy while standing strong alongside him, giving a powerful performance of her own.
Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
Should win: Manchester by the Sea
- Affleck, Hedges, and Williams were great together.
Will win: Moonlight
- This is probably going to be between Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea but there were just more great performances here.
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Limited Series
RIZ AHMED – THE NIGHT OF
STERLING K. BROWN – THE PEOPLE V. O.J. SIMPSON: AMERICAN CRIME STORY
BRYAN CRANSTON – ALL THE WAY
JOHN TURTURRO – THE NIGHT OF
COURTNEY B. VANCE – THE PEOPLE V. O.J. SIMPSON: AMERICAN CRIME STORY
Should win: STERLING K. BROWN – THE PEOPLE V. O.J. SIMPSON: AMERICAN CRIME STORY
- As I’ve said before, The People v. O.J. is going to cleanup this award season. It’s a tough choice between Sterling K. Brown and Courtney B. Vance, but I think this one should go to Brown for his more raw and emotional performance.
Will win: STERLING K. BROWN – THE PEOPLE V. O.J. SIMPSON: AMERICAN CRIME STORY
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Limited Series
BRYCE DALLAS HOWARD – BLACK MIRROR
FELICITY HUFFMAN – AMERICAN CRIME
AUDRA McDONALD – LADY DAY AT EMERSON’S BAR & GRILL
SARAH PAULSON – THE PEOPLE V. O.J. SIMPSON: AMERICAN CRIME STORY
KERRY WASHINGTON – CONFIRMATION
Should win: SARAH PAULSON – THE PEOPLE V. O.J. SIMPSON: AMERICAN CRIME STORY
- It still blows my mind how good of an actress Sarah Paulson is. The convincing emotion she puts into everything is amazing and it was on great display this year with her role in The People v. O.J.
Will win: SARAH PAULSON – THE PEOPLE V. O.J. SIMPSON: AMERICAN CRIME STORY
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series
STERLING K. BROWN – THIS IS US
PETER DINKLAGE – GAME OF THRONES
JOHN LITHGOW – THE CROWN
RAMI MALEK – MR. ROBOT
KEVIN SPACEY – HOUSE OF CARDS
Should win: PETER DINKLAGE – GAME OF THRONES
- There is no questioning the quality of Game of Thrones and part of that is due to Peter Dinklage. He is by far the best thing about that show and it’s about time he gets a SAG award for it.
Will win: RAMI MALEK – MR. ROBOT
- For as good as Peter Dinklage and Game of Thrones is, the critics love what Rami Malek is doing on Mr. Robot. It’s a good show and he does a great job on it which is why I think he’ll walk away with this one.
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series
MILLIE BOBBY BROWN – STRANGER THINGS
CLAIRE FOY – THE CROWN
THANDIE NEWTON – WESTWORLD
WINONA RYDER – STRANGER THINGS
ROBIN WRIGHT – HOUSE OF CARDS
Should win: WINONA RYDER – STRANGER THINGS
- There were a lot of talented actresses on a lot of great shows this year, but Stranger Things was the best thing on TV this year and it wouldn’t have been so without Winona Ryder. Her role has the devastated/psycho mother was amazing.
Will win: WINONA RYDER – STRANGER THINGS
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series
ANTHONY ANDERSON – BLACK-ISH
TITUSS BURGESS – UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT
TY BURRELL – MODERN FAMILY
WILLIAM H. MACY – SHAMELESS
JEFFREY TAMBOR – TRANSPARENT
Should win: TITUSS BURGESS – UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT
- This is kind of a wildcard pick for me but Burgess is so funny in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, I think he should be rewarded. It’s a long shot, I know, but it would be cool to see.
Will win: JEFFREY TAMBOR – TRANSPARENT
- Jeffrey Tambor is an amazing actor and he has taken a successful career to new heights with his role as Maura Pfefferman. I think he’ll win not just for his great performance in in a groundbreaking role, but also as a culmination of a great career.
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series
UZO ADUBA – ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK
JANE FONDA – GRACE AND FRANKIE
ELLIE KEMPER – UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT
JULIA LOUIS-DREYFUS – VEEP
LILY TOMLIN – GRACE AND FRANKIE
Should win: JULIA LOUIS-DREYFUS – VEEP
- I say this every time she is nominated for something: Julia Louis-Dreyfus is the best comedic actress ever and her performance in Veep backs it up completely. Things haven’t changed. This award shouldn’t even be up for debate.
Will win: JULIA LOUIS-DREYFUS – VEEP
Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series
GAME OF THRONES
Should win: GAME OF THRONES
- This was difficult for me because Stranger Things was the best thing on TV this year, but even on a “down year”, Game of Thrones produces some of the best acting on television. For as many characters as it has, every ensemble member contributes to one of the best shows ever.
Will win: GAME OF THRONES
Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series
THE BIG BANG THEORY
ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK
Should win: VEEP
- This show has an amazing cast led by one of the funniest people ever. Other than Julia Louis-Dreyfus, though, Tony Hale, Timothy Simons, Matt Walsh, and pretty much everyone else make this one of the best comedies on TV.
Will win: BLACK-ISH
- To be honest there are a handful of shows that didn’t get nominated that are more deserving of this award, but I think Black-ish will win because it is something different while not being too different (if that makes sense). It’s standard network comedy that takes a different perspective and I think it will be rewarded.
The 23rd SAG Awards will be held on Sunday, January 29th, 2017.